Whether you’ve moved to a new city or your previous dentist retired, searching for a new dentist can be stressful. We hope that if you’re in New York City, you’ll choose West 10th Dental for your general and cosmetic dentistry needs, but if you’re looking for advice on finding a good dentist, here are some of our best tips.
Ask Friends and Family
Just like any other profession, word-of-mouth advertising is crucial for dentists. One of the best ways to find a dentist is to ask around and find out who your friends, family, and co-workers see–and, more importantly, if they recommend the practice. Conversely, you can also ask people you know about any bad experiences they’ve had with local dentists so you know to steer clear.
Look at Reviews Online
Yelp, Google, Angie’s List, and other websites that let users rate dentists can be helpful in your search for a good dentist. You’ll want to focus on trends and the big picture–if there are a number of seemingly legitimate reviews from different people all with poor ratings, you’ll want to weigh that more heavily than a one-off negative review from an unsatisfied patient.
Don’t forget to pay it forward after you’ve seen your new dentist–write a review online to help others who are searching too!
Use the American Dental Association Website
The ADA has a Find-A-Dentist tool that allows you to search for ADA-member dentists by name, location, and specialty. To use the tool, you’ll type in your location; if you like, you can also enter the distance you’d be willing to travel. You can refine your search by Gender, Payment Options, Languages Spoken, and Saturday hours.
Your search will bring up a list of dentists who meet your criteria; clicking on their individual profiles will bring up their contact information, office hours, insurance plans accepted, and biographical information.
Check with Your Dental Insurance Provider
Most dental insurance providers have databases to help you search for a dentist online. You can also call your carrier and ask them for recommendations.
Make Sure They Are a Good Fit
Once you’ve used all of the above methods to narrow down your options, the final step is to hone in on the best dentist for your needs. Some things to think about include:
- Office Hours – Are they open on weekends or evenings? Do they open early so you can go in before work?
- Comfort – If you’re nervous about the dentist, you’ll want to make sure they have options for sedation, noise-canceling headphones, or video screens to help you take your mind off of the procedure.
- Location – Is the practice easy for you to get to from home and work?
- Financial Concerns – In addition to making sure your dentist takes your insurance, you may also want to see if they participate in CareCredit or offer other options for financing.
- Office Setting – Is the office clean and modern? Does it have up-to-date equipment?
- Services – Make sure your dentist offers all the services you need.
Make an Appointment with Us
If you’ve gone through all of these steps and decided to choose our practice, we look forward to meeting with you! Contact us at 212-982-5883 to schedule your first appointment.