Why spend months or even years waiting to see improvements to your smile? With porcelain veneers all it takes is one single office visit and you can dramatically change your smile.
What are Porcelain Dental Veneers?
Think of porcelain dental veneers as tiny little shells that quickly change the appearance of your natural teeth.
With dental veneers, a thin, custom-made porcelain shell is created in the dental office to look, feel, and work just like your natural teeth. Once the porcelain shell is created, your dentist will securely bond it to the surface of your natural teeth so it stays in place.
What Problems can Porcelain Dental Veneers Correct?
Porcelain dental veneers can successfully be used to correct the following problems:
- Severely stained or discolored teeth
- Small chips to a tooth
- Broken or fractured teeth
- Uneven or crooked teeth
- Large gaps between teeth
- Oddly shaped or misshapen teeth
Due to the fact that porcelain veneers are permanently bonded to the surface of your natural teeth, they are often used when substantial changes need to be made to your smile.
Why People Choose to Improve Their Smile with Porcelain Veneers
Improving your smile is the first, and most obvious, reason why people choose porcelain veneers. However, there are other reasons why this cosmetic dental procedure is so popular.
Other reasons why people choose porcelain veneers include:
- An extremely natural appearance – the porcelain used with veneers comes in over a dozen different shades of white, all of which have an extremely natural appearance. The variety of colors available helps dentists whiten and brighten some of the darkest, most stained teeth.
- Long lasting – with proper dental care and maintenance, dental veneers can last up to 20 years.
- Stain resistant – porcelain is extremely difficult to stain.
- Natural pearlescent finish gives your teeth a natural sparkle – unlike other dental procedures, such as dental crowns or bridges, porcelain veneers have a natural shine to them.
- Not needing to replace or correct your entire smile – porcelain veneers can be used to correct a single tooth in the mouth or a small set of teeth. This makes it a great option for people who only need to correct a small section of their mouth.
- Instant results – after one office visit, you can walk out with a brand new, improved smile.
What to Expect When Porcelain Veneers are Applied to Your Teeth
Before your porcelain veneers can be applied to your teeth, your dentist will need to prep the tooth. Preparation for veneers involves removing a very thin layer of your tooth’s enamel. Removing a small layer of enamel allows the veneers to attach securely to your natural teeth. It also prevents your veneers from feeling bulky or oversized.
Removing the enamel on your teeth is a relatively painless procedure. However, your dentist will usually use Novocain or other numbing agent to make you feel more comfortable.
After the enamel has been removed, your dentist will attach the veneer temporarily to your natural tooth. With the veneer temporarily placed, your dentist can check its size and fit. If adjustments need to be made your dentist can trim the veneer so you have a very natural appearance. Once the veneer is properly shaped and fitted, your dentist will securely bond it to your natural tooth.
Before leaving, your dentist will clean and polish your veneer and surrounding teeth.
Schedule a Consultation
Would you like to see how porcelain veneers can improve your smile? Contact us online or call 212-982-5883 to schedule a personalized consultation to discuss porcelain veneers with an experienced cosmetic dentist at West 10th Dental.